Saturday, November 1, 2008

McCain Top Advisor: Palin Qualified? "Of Course Not"

Larry Eagleburger, Secretary of State for Bush I and one of the 4 former secretaries of state that McCain could remember who has endorsed him (see posting of October 26), was designated by the McCain campaign to make the case for him on foreign policy issues on NPR Thursday. While Sarah Palin gets lots of criticism from the other side, it is interesting to hear the words of McCain's friends:

Host: You mentioned experience--Are you entirely comfortable with Sarah Palin as the Vice President of the United States, that she would be able to take over in a crisis if she should be terribly called upon to do so?

Eagleburger: That is a good question. (chuckle) I am being facetious here.
Look...of course not. I don't think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reigns of the presidency...
So the question I think is: Can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president? Heaven forbid that that ever takes place. Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be she will be (dramatic pause) adequate. I can't say she would be a genious in the job but I think that she would be enough to get us though a four year--I hope not--get us through whatever period of time was necessary
And I devoutely hope that it would never be tested.

So true.

(the whole interview can be heard at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96329379
with the Palin portion in the last two minutes).

2 comments:

Chilly Dog said...

UPDATE 11/02
A portion of this interview was played on Meet the Press this morning. Without saying that they were not editing his quote (and, suggesting otherwise by the way the clip was played), the omitted the words "Of Course Not."

Chilly Dog

Anonymous said...

I thought Eagleburger was a Democrat? Sounds bites and pauses say a lot. Let's hope she is never in the position so she is never tested.